▍SIRIM Mandatory Product Registration Scheme
For the security of person and property, Malaysia government formulates product certification scheme and puts surveillance on electronic appliances, information & multimedia and construction materials. Controlled products can only be exported to Malaysia after obtaining product certification certificate and labeling.The mandatory certification date will be July 1st , 2019. (SIRIM accepts certification application on the time being.)
SIRIM(Standard of Industrial and Research Institute in Malaysia) is the unique guiding certification agency who is authorized by Ministry of Communications and Multimedia in Malaysia. Importers, manufacturer, traders can apply to SIRIM to get audit and recognition according to official standard of product certification scheme.
▍SIRIM Mandatory Certification Product
SIRIM Mandatory Certification Product Scope: electronic appliances, fire-protection equipments, personal protection equipments, construction materials, etc.
Consumer and road safety products
34 categories of electronic appliances
12 categories of fire safety products
14 categories of construction materials
6 categories of water supply and plumbing system
any communication equipments with special frequency
7 categories of personal protection equipments
Standard: MS IEC 60086
Regulation: KPDNKK’s Consumer Protection Association
Standard : MS IEC 62133:2017 or IEC 62133:2012
Regulation: To be regulated by KPDNKK’s
▍SIRIM Certification- Secondary Battery
Secondary battery will be within the scope of mandatory certification from January 1st , 2019. Certification requests are now being accepted by SIRIM.
Secondary battery certification Standard : MS IEC 62133:2017 or IEC 62133:2012
▍Secondary Battery Certification
Type 1b:Batch Certification (Apply by actual importer only)
single use certification
without factory audit
Type 5: Product Certification (Apply by manufacturers, suppliers and distributors)
Factory audit are required. For the first year, the factory needs to be inspected by SIRIM. Both factory and warehouse in Malaysia are subjected to audit in the next year. The validity of the certificate is 1 year.
Certification procedure of secondary battery
▍Secondary Battery Certification—Type 5 Documents Preparation
1. Questionnaire Form (ePCS/FOR/01-1)
2. Application Form (ePCS/FOR/01-2)
3. Declaration of Approval from relevant authority (ePCS/FOR/01-3&01-3.1)
4. Declaration of Trade Mark (ePCS/FOR/01-4&01-4.1)
5. Declaration from Manufacturer (ePCS/FOR/01-5)*
6. Product Specification (English)
7. CB Test Report and Certificate（IEC 62133:2012）
Other document shall be submitted according to product application assessment result.
SIRIM certificate label which should be purchased when obtaining certificate, belongs to SIRIM company only. Price varies with quantity.
1. Is there any random inspection of SIRIM after obtaining the certificate?
-Yes. Products will be inspected by SIRIM at regular intervals. SIRIM has legal rights to suspend or cancel the issued certificate if any nonconformity is discovered during inspection.
2. Should I have my product tested again if they already obtained CB report?
-Applicant shall provide qualification certificate, CB test report and certificate if CB report of your product is issued within 5 years by recognized body.
3. When will the factory inspection begin? How long is my product certification valid?
-SIRIM will arrange factory inspection after reviewing the submittal dossier. Your certification is valid for one year from the date of approval. It is renewable on yearly. There are two parts of factory inspection, one is in manufacturer factory, the other is in Malaysian warehouse.
4. My company is certified to ISO9001. Do I need to apply for SIRIM certification?
-Yes, if you are manufacturing a product which has been made mandatory by the regulatory agencies. Otherwise, Product Certification is voluntary.
5. What’s the validity of certificate?
-The certificate is valid for one year. Applicant can apply for renewal after 1 year. The validity of other products is 2 years.
6.How to indicate that my product has been certificated by SIRIM QAS?
-Once your product is certified, you can use the following Certification Mark, depending on the type of certification.
7. Who’s the certificate holder of SIRIM?
-SIRIM stipulates that certificate holder should be a Malaysia company which is registered in ROC/ROB. Applicant should appoint a Malaysian local company as agency. MCM provides Malaysia agency service.
8. What’s the requirement of SIRIM label?
-the label size should be 1cm*2cm with specific design and color. It is acceptable to affixed the label on minimum package if the product size is too small, applicant
9. What is an accredited laboratory? Can I use battery IEC report to apply for the certification?
-it is better to commission a CB scheme labs, but a country accreditation body, for example CNAS qualification or qualified labs in Singapore (SAC) is also acceptable. The other thing to notice is that test report of IEC 62133(2012) is completely acceptable. But applicant need to supplement some missing items if provide IEC 62133:2017 test report. According to information, test items that being omits in IEC 62133:2017, are regarded as nessary in Malaysia.
10. What is the audit object of factory inspection?
-QC, production line, engineering department, research & development department. Details refer to ISO factory inspection
11. Label is issued according to export amount. If clients intend to export several times a year, how to apply label for the subsequent export?
- Type Approval (Type 1b): Apply according to actual export amount (applied by importers)
- Product Certification (Type 5): File an application and need to wait for 5-10 workdays (applied by factories or manufacturers)
▍The advantage of MCM in SIRIM certification:
● MCM engages in SIRIM certification for many years and is familiar with Malaysian regulations of different kinds of mandatory products.
● With branch office in Malaysia, MCM can provide safer and more convenient local representative service.
● MCM and Malaysia SIRIM QAS Inspection agency are working towards an agreement that providing high quality factory inspection service. Clients do not need to wait in line, with high passing rate and efficient lead time.
● MCM provides full set of Malaysia certification service and prolonged after-sale service to protect your products from limitation troubles of Malaysia import and export.