▍What is CE Certification?
The CE mark is a “passport” for products entering the EU countries and the EU Free Trade Association countries market. Any product (involved in the new method directive), whether produced by the EU or EU member states, must be in compliance with the requirements of the Directive and relevant harmonized standards and attach the CE mark, before being placed on the EU market in order to be freely circulated in the EU market. This is a mandatory requirement of the EU law for related products, which provides a uniform minimum technical standard for trade of products in the European market and simplifies the trade process.
▍What is CE directive?
The Directive is a legislative document established by by Council of European Union and European Commission based on Treaty on European Union. The following directives applicable for batteries are as follow:
2006/66/EC&2013/56/EU: Battery Directive, batteries complying with this directive must have a trash can logo;
2014/30/EU: Electromagnetic Compatibility Directive (EMC Directive), batteries complying with this directive must have a CE mark;
2011/65/EU: ROHS directive, batteries complying with this directive must have a CE mark;
Tips: When a product needs to meet multiple CE directives (the CE mark needs to be attached), the CE mark can only be pasted when all the requirements of the directive are met.
▍Dimensional Requirements of CE Marking
The CE Mark Directive 93/68/EEC (CE Marking Directive) issued by the European Union on July 22, 1993 has detailed requirements for the graphics, dimensions, proportions and printing of the CE mark. The CE mark can be printed and used by the manufacturer. However, its size, proportion, and printing must meet the following requirements:
1. If the CE mark is reduced or enlarged, the ratio in the above figure, and the distance between C and E must be proportional;
2. The height of C and E should be the same and must be greater than or equal to 5mm;
3. It is strictly forbidden to attach other marks on the product which may misidentified by the third party as CE mark. Other mark can be affixed to the product or data board only if the visibility and clarity of the CE mark are not reduced.
▍Trash bin logo
1. For mercury (Hg) content exceeding 0.0005%, cadmium (Cd) content exceeding 0.002% and lead (Pb) content exceeding 0.004%, the corresponding element and content should be indicated below the trash bin
2. The trash bin logo should covers at least 3% of the maximum area of the battery, storage battery or battery pack; if it is a cylindrical battery, the mark should cover at least 1.5% of the area of the battery or storage battery, and the maximum size can reaches 5 × 5 cm;
3. If size of battery, storage battery or battery pack is so small that the trash can mark is less than 0.5×0.5 cm. Thus, the battery, storage battery or battery pack does not need to attach the trash bin mark, but at least a 1×1 cm mark should be printed on the package.
▍The Necessity of Applying for CE Certification
Any product from different countries that wants to enter the EU and the European Free Trade Zone must be applied with CE-certified and CE marked on the product. Therefore, CE certification is a passport for products entering EU and the European Free Trade Zone .
▍Benefits Of Applying for CE certification
1. EU laws, regulations, and coordinate standards are not only large in quantity, but also complex in content. Therefore, obtaining the CE certification is a very smart choice to save time and effort as well as to reduce the risk;
2. A CE certificate can help earning the trust of the consumers and market supervision institution to a maximum extent;
3. It can effectively prevent the irresponsible allegations situation;
4. CE certificate will be legally binding technical evidence in the case of lawsuit cases;
5. Once enterprise was punished by EU countries, certification bodies will sharing risks together and hence, reduce the risk of the enterprise.
▍The Advantages of MCM on CE Certification
● MCM, up to more than 20 professional and technical team engaged in the field of battery CE certification, which provide customers with faster and more accurate and updated CE certification information;
● MCM provides various CE solutions including LVD, EMC, battery directives, etc. for customer's battery in CE certification;
● Up to date, MCM has contributed to provide more than 70,000 battery CE tests worldwide.